Derivatives Execution Sales Trader
- Standard / Permanent
- HK-Hong Kong (HK)-Hong Kong
- SALES DEVELOPMENT
In Asia Pacific, BNP Paribas is one of the best-positioned international financial institutions with an uninterrupted presence since 1860. Currently with over 18,000 employees* and a presence in 13 markets, BNP Paribas provides corporates, institutional and private investors with product and service solutions tailored to their specific needs. It offers a wide range of financial services covering corporate & institutional banking, wealth management, asset management, insurance, as well as retail banking and consumer financing through strategic partnerships. .
Worldwide, BNP Paribas has a presence in 68 markets with more than 193,000 employees. It has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. Asia Pacific is a key strategic region for BNP Paribas and it continues to develop its franchise in the region.
* excluding partnerships
At BNP Paribas, we passionately embrace diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive workplace where all employees are valued, respected and can bring their authentic selves to work. We prohibit Discrimination and Harassment of any kind and our policies promote equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants, irrespective of, but not limited to their gender, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, colour, national origin, age, religion, social status, mental or physical disabilities, veteran status etc. As a global Bank, we truly believe that inclusion and diversity of our teams is key to our success in serving our clients and the communities we operate in.
BNP Paribas’ Global Markets business offers a broad range of products and services in the global interest rates, credit, currency, equities & commodity markets. Global Markets help their franchise of clients find effective ways to raise and invest capital as well as manage their exposure to risk. Their client base comprises of hundreds of corporations, institutional investors, banks, governments and supranational organisations.
Global Markets has the scale and reach to conduct business anywhere in the world and deliver products denominated in almost all of the world’s currencies.
Derivatives Execution & Clearing (DEC) encompasses listed derivatives agency execution, OTC clearing, listed derivatives clearing and commodity futures. DEC is one pillar of services within Global Markets for BNPP Corporate and Institutional clients.
The electronic execution coverage team sits within the DEC business line and offers access to global Listed Derivatives via multiple electronic systems for both internal and external customers worldwide. Electronic Markets are a key focus area of GM, with strong management support to extend and grow the percentage of trades executed via this medium.
Purpose: As a Vice President in the team, the role holder will be accountable for assisting to complete a range of trading and transaction activities related to their specialism, applying their skills and experience to take decisions on matters within the remits assigned to them. The role holder will be expected to interact with confidence with clients wherever appropriate, and to continue to develop their trading expertise and transaction experience to support their ability to work with increasing autonomy.
- Provides fully competent and experienced support to the electronic coverage team, taking accountability for decisions and tasks in relation to their area of expertise. This will include completing, with increasing autonomy, tasks such as:
- Acting as a primary day to day contact for clients, delivering with tasks such as content distribution, generic reporting, and providing market colour to support deals. Takes personal accountability for dealing with client enquires in a timely manner, escalating matters to more senior colleagues where required.
- Utilising personal experience to confidently evaluate the risk and opportunities in the market for positions and strategy that align with client and desk strategies.
- Conducting executions and confirmations, including taking orders from the client, in full accordance with the electronic coverage team’s defined processes and practices.
- Booking transactions, and monitoring / conducting follow-ups with booked transactions with Middle Office and Back Office.
- Reporting any electronic execution errors in accordance with the team’s Incident Management protocol.
- Co-ordinating with other GM teams, such as Sales, as required to effectively support clients with their needs and to ensure products across the Bank are accessible to clients.
- Exercises judgement and applies knowledge of areas of expertise, including technical understanding of relevant products, to recommend suitable changes or developments to products or services offered by the team.
- Begins to build client relationships with existing accounts, and develops a strong understanding of their requirements and market activities. Demonstrates a core understanding of the relevant market metrics to support such clients.
- Works with independence on most activities, with closely defined and limited responsibilities. Coordinates effectively with more senior colleagues in relation to larger or more complex matters. Accountable for delivering personal targets and objectives to support the performance of the team.
- Builds and maintains trusting relationships with all relevant stakeholders internally and externally, and collaborates with teams across the Bank to promote areas of expertise / markets and develop strategies to achieve revenue targets.
- May be required to help to manage the day to day activities of junior team members and administrative staff, and to support them to provide high quality output that assist the team.
- Work closely with all DEC teams to promote and develop DEC global offering.
Knowledge, Skill and Experience
Relevant university degree (such as, for example, in Engineering, Financial Engineering, Finance, Maths, Economics or Econometrics) or equivalent qualification / business experience, along with extensive experience with sales trading activity related to personal specialism.
· Deep and specialist technical knowledge related to products managed in the team within personal specialism, with expert experience working with clients to understand their requirements and define appropriate solutions.
· Strong mathematical skills, with ability to be precise and confident with handling numbers.
· Experience with managing risks related to complex portfolios / transactions in a disciplined manner.
· Demonstrated ability to work with increasing autonomy in a fast paced and changing environment with conflicting priorities. Strong personal organisation skills, with a focus on accuracy and attention to detail.
· Expert at building relationships and communicating with stakeholders at all levels within the organisation. Able to work with both internal and external stakeholders.
· Demonstrable ability to recognise business opportunities for the team, generating innovative and creative ideas to drive the Bank’s objectives.
· Strong commercial acumen, with a willingness to maintain market awareness independently.
· Computer literacy and a good understanding of and demonstrable experience in various specialist systems. (e.g. Reuters, Bloomberg and in-house risk/pricing tools).