Head of Global Markets and ALM-T Compliance, APAC
- Standard / Permanent
- HK-Hong Kong (HK)-Hong Kong
The Compliance function lies at the heart of BNP Paribas’ risk management. One of the pillars of the Group’s internal control setup, Compliance teams work both independently and in close partnership with the Business to adapt to the evolution of the Group’s activities and the requirements of the regulators. Compliance teams contribute to maintaining the reputation of BNP Paribas and the trust of our clients, thanks to their strong control of non-compliance risks, allowing everyone to work with confidence.
The Regional Head of Global Markets / Asset and Liability Management – Treasury (“ALM-T”) Compliance is a key senior role in the APAC Compliance organisation and is a member of the APAC Compliance Executive Committee.
The incumbent shall maintain a solid partnership between Compliance and the Business, acting as a senior advisor and point of contact for Business senior management, providing guidance and advisory.
He/she shall protect the Group on existing and emerging Compliance risks through active supervisory engagement and a strong risk management to ensure adherence to regulatory expectations.
The Regional Head of Global Markets / ALM-T Compliance should participate in the continuous efforts toward industrialisation and optimisation of the Compliance framework.
The responsibilities of the Head of Global Markets / ALM-T Compliance APAC are the following:
- Be accountable for the APAC Global Markets / ALM-T Compliance function across the region (12 territories).
- Manage a team of 20+ staff across Hong Kong, Singapore and South Korea.
- Oversee the second line of defence role for Global Markets / ALM-T APAC Compliance and coordinate the management of risk assessments on this scope.
- Manage local Compliance issues, incidents and breaches on his/her scope, in conjunction with various internal parties, when necessary.
- Ensure alignment with Group objectives and collaborative relationship with Central Global Markets / ALM-T Compliance teams.
Partnership with the Business
- Act as the key Compliance point of contact and trusted partner for the senior management of Global Markets & ALM-T business, providing advisory and guidance on Compliance matters.
- Implement internal policies and initiatives in close collaboration with Business and Compliance stakeholders locally, regionally and globally.
- Spearhead regional training programs aimed at maintaining a high level of front office proficiency in relevant rules and regulations (notably laws & regulations governing benchmarking activities).
- Review new business, product and transaction proposals; and approve in accordance with delegated authority.
- Ensure active engagement with regulatory bodies and industry associations in the APAC region, in collaboration with Business and local Compliance Heads.
- Have a good grasp of the regulatory landscape for Global Markets / ALM-T.
- Monitor and anticipate the changes on relevant laws, rules and regulations and their likely impact on the Business, its processes, procedures, controls and products.
- Ensure the management of supervisory inquiries and requests as needed (including audits, questionnaires, surveys)
- Support the industrialization of compliance activities through global and regional initiatives on process reengineering & digitalization.
- Take ownership of your budget and ensure its respect.
Competencies (Technical / Behavioural)
The following competencies would be appreciated:
- Deep working knowledge of the business and Compliance environment in APAC in the following asset classes: Global Equities (including Cash Equities, Prime Services and Equity Derivatives), Global Credit, Global Macro, Tech Platforms (Derivatives Execution and Clearing) and ALM-T (Asset and Liability Management – Treasury).
- Substantial working knowledge on market integrity issues, protection of interests of clients, professional ethics and financial crime Compliance domains. Ability to partner with specialists in these areas across the region.
- Strong network within the industry, ideally across multiple locations in the region.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Independent minded.
- The candidate must possess good communication skills, be a team player and work with all levels.
- Good command of written and spoken English.
- Sound knowledge of Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Familiarity with legal documentation for electronic trading agreements is a significant benefit
Specific Qualifications Required
Education: University Degree
Experience: Over 20 years of relevant experience, including in the Compliance department of a financial institution, with knowledge of Global Markets / ALM-T compliance issues as set out above.
Excellent working knowledge of APAC regulations as well as global markets regulatory requirements and their practical application.
The candidate should be a senior professional with regulatory and related industry experience. This will entail sufficient experience with and a good understanding of the regulatory environment and the key challenges and developments faced by the business and the industry.
About BNP PARIBAS
As the leading European Union bank, and one of the world’s largest financial institutions with an uninterrupted presence in the region since 1860, BNP Paribas offers a wide range of financial services for corporate, institutional and private investors spanning corporate and institutional banking, wealth management, asset management and insurance.
We passionately embrace diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive workplace where all employees are valued and encourage applicants of all backgrounds, including diversity of origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion applicants who may be living with a disability. We have a number of internal employee networks in place to empower our staff to act and challenge the status quo.
• BNP Paribas PRIDE is highly active in favour of the LGBTQIA+ community
• BNP Paribas MixCity which fosters better representation of women at all levels of the organization
• Ability, the mutual aid network for employees with a disability or a disabling or chronic illness
• BNP Paribas CulturAll which celebrates diverse backgrounds
BNP is committed to financing a carbon-neutral economy by 2050. The Group is a founding member of the Net-Zero Banking Alliance and has set up its own Low Carbon Transition Group to support its clients through their energy transitions.
BNPP has won Top employer Europe award in a 10th consecutive year